Assistant Language Teacher (ALT)
ALTs are engaged in language instruction and make up over 90% of all JET Program participants. They are mainly assigned to local boards of education or elementary, junior high or senior high schools and carry out their duties under the guidance of language teachers’ consultants or Japanese teachers of English (JTEs) as specified by the supervisor and/or principal of the board of education and/or school.
Duties may include:
• Assisting Japanese teachers in foreign language classes taught in elementary, junior and/or senior high schools.
• Supervising foreign language activities, during or after school in elementary schools, junior and/or senior high schools.
• Preparation of class materials for teaching a foreign language.
• Providing information on language and other related subjects for people such as teachers’ consultants and foreign language teachers (e.g. word usage, pronunciation, etc.)
• Helping out in extracurricular activities and club activities (e.g. class activities, homeroom activities, student council activities, club activities, school events.)
• Assistance in foreign language speech contests.
• Engagement in local international exchange activities.
• Other duties as specified by the contracting organization.
Please visit the Eligibility page to learn about the requirements to apply for this position.
Coordinator for International Relations (CIR)
CIRs are engaged in internationalization activities and translation/interpretation, and are placed in administrative offices of local authorities or related organizations. This position requires a high-degree of fluency and positions are less than 10% of all JET Program participants. Their duties are carried out as specified by the supervisor at individual contracting organizations.
Duties may include:
- Assistance in projects related to international activities carried out by the contracting organization. Such activities may include: editing, translating and compiling publications into a foreign language; assisting in planning, designing and implementing international exchange programs including international economic exchange programs; assisting in hosting official guests from abroad and interpreting at events for overseas visitors or for local foreign residents in the community.
- Offering language instruction of contracting organization employees and local residents. Language instruction of local residents refers to foreign language lessons and foreign culture classes for local resident children and/or adults.
- Working with and participating in activities of local private groups or organizations engaging in international exchange.
- Participating in exchange activities (including school visits) related to local residents’ cross-cultural awareness and understanding as well as in supporting activities for foreign residents in Japan.
- CIRs are required to have semi-advanced to advance Japanese language ability.
- Other duties as specified by the contracting organization.