2019 DEPARTURE DATES
Group A: July 27, 2019
Group B: August 3, 2019
Application Available: October
Application Deadline: November
Interview Results: April
*Please note that the interview dates may vary depending on location.
If you’re interested in applying for JET, here are some tips for preparing to apply:
- Understand the eligibility requirements and what the JET Program looks for in great candidates.
- Take an personal inventory of your education, work and volunteer experience, as well as awards and extra-curricular activities you have been involved in.
- Request university transcripts from all colleges and/or universities you have attended.
- Consider who you will ask to write your Letters of Reference. References must fall into 1 of 2 categories: Academic or Professional.
Academic: Professors or academic advisers. Current students must have at least 1 academic reference whose letter mentions their expected date of graduation.
Professional: Managers or supervisors who have overseen your work (excluding coworkers)
No personal references: classmates, coworkers, family/friends, and student tutors are not acceptable.
No matter your situation, it’s best to contact your potential references early. Also consider one or two ‘back-ups’ in case your top choices cannot complete your letter(s) on time. You will send the official reference request to your letter writer via our online portal, where the writer can then complete your reference. All Letters of Reference must be completed through our portal.
- Start preparing your two-page essay. The essay will be entered into a text field of the online portal and will be automatically formatted as a double-spaced two-page document (this is a strict page limit). Your essay should reflect your motivation for applying for the JET Program, how your qualifications will make you an excellent JET participant, and how participating on the JET Program will help you with your own personal and professional goals.