How to Apply
2017 Departure Dates
Group A: July 22, 2017
Group B: July 29, 2017
What can I do to prepare my application?
The JET Application is a long process and involves obtaining many documents. We highly recommend preparing for your JET application as early as possible.
Here are other ways you can prepare:
- Understand the eligibility requirements and what the JET Program looks for in great candidates.
- Take an personal inventory of your education, work and volunteer experience, as well as awards and extra-curricular activities you have been involved in.
- Request university transcripts from all colleges or universities you have attended.
- Consider who you will ask to write your Letters of Reference. You will provide contact information for your references through the online portal which will send them a request. Your references will then provide their recommendation through the Online Application Portal during the fall application period.
- Start preparing your two-page essay. The essay will be entered into a text field of the online portal and will be automatically formatted as a double-spaced two-page document (this is a strict page limit). Your essay should reflect your motivation for applying for the JET Program, how your qualifications will make you an excellent JET participant, and how participating on the JET Program will help you with your own personal and professional goals.
The JET Application Package and Guidelines will be provided in the Online Application Portal of this website during the fall application period. We only accept applications submitted in this way. We do not accept resumes or other documents other than those outlined in the Application Guidelines. Please note that the information provided on this page is based on previous years’ application guidelines, and is subject to change.
Main Application Form (Sample)
Available in the Application Portal of this website during the fall application period only.
Self-Assessment Medical Form (Sample)
Available through the online portal. The hard-copy requires a signature.
Official University Transcripts
From all universities attended, which may include exchange universities.
Degree or Proof of Expected Graduation
If you are in your final year of study, your university can issue a letter stating the date of your expected graduation.
A two-page double-spaced essay outlining your motivation and qualifications to participate on the JET Program.
Two Letters of Reference
Do NOT request reference letters without providing your referees our Reference Letter Guidelines, available in the Application Portal of this website during the fall application period. Recommendation letters must be submitted online and the JET Program USA does not accept paper recommendation.
Proof of American Citizenship
Such as a copy of your passport or birth certificate.
Your application package will be completed and uploaded in the Online Application Portal of this website during the fall application period. Your additional documents can be uploaded to your application file. Once you have completed your online application, you must also mail or hand-deliver your application to the Embassy of Japan in Washington D.C. by the published deadline. More details will be provided in the online application portal.