January 2021 JET Program Departure Update
As of the end of December, border restrictions between Japan and the United States have increased. Unfortunately this means that the departure date for 2020 JETs is once again being delayed. We currently have no determined departure date, but will be announcing any updates as soon as we get them.
October 2020 JET Program Departure Update
The JET Program is proud to announce that we have started preparing to send our 2020 JET Program shortlist candidates to Japan.
At this time, we do not have an official departure date for JET Program participants from the US. Once the new departure date is confirmed, we will be notifying all 2020 JET Program USA shortlist candidates of details regarding document requirements and the submission timeline.
Further COVID-19 related measures will be implemented for JET participants both before and after their arrival in Tokyo. These measures will help ensure the health and safety of JET participants and the Japanese communities in which JETs will be placed.
We are looking forward to sending our 2020 USA JETs as the JET Program continues to be a pillar of the Japan-US relationship.
July 2020 JET Program Departure Update
Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, the organizations in Tokyo that administer the JET Program have decided to officially postpone the 2020 JET departure date. The JET Program USA would like to thank our participants and supporters for your continued understanding during this uncertain time. We want to assure everyone that we are doing our best to continually protect the well being of our Program participants, and to give you as much information as possible as soon as we receive it.
Please see below for a list of changes that will be implemented for the 2020 JET Program:
- The following items have been postponed until COVID-19 related entry restrictions between the U.S. and Japan are eased:
- Departure Dates and Schedules (To be released at least two months prior to the new departure date)
- Document Deadlines (Pending new departure date information)
- 2020 JET Program Shortlist candidates will have the option to proceed with the 2020 JET Program or choose to defer to the 2021 JET Program Shortlist, without the need to re-apply.
- If the easing of entry restrictions between the U.S. and Japan has not been announced by September 30, 2020, Shortlist candidates will be deferred to the 2021 JET Program Shortlist.
Additional details about the above changes have been sent individually to 2020 JET Program Candidates.
More information about the 2021 JET Program Application process will be announced soon.
Again, we wholeheartedly thank you for your patience as we work through this difficult period. The JET Program continues to be a pillar of the Japan-US relationship, and we are continuing to do our best to provide vital information to the community and monitor the situation as circumstances change.